Smart & Sustainable, Green Garden Design, Coaching & Seasonal Maintenance


Friday, April 16, 2010

Flower Show Wrap-up & Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day

April 15, 2010

I'm a day late for GBBD, the monthly garden event hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. But, I have an excuse: I just completed my first show garden display and am getting caught up with my regular life (laundry)(bills)(taxes).
It took the entire month to get ready for the California State Flower and Garden Show. This is how the hall looked on the first day of installing the gardens...a bit overwhelming. The only sign that this was my space was my name written in chalk on the floor and 4 little corner markings! Oh, my...

But, this is how it looked at the show...I had such beautiful elements to work with, recycled copper panels and hand-made metal hanging lights from Living Green Design Solutions, a charming large bird cage (where's the bird!) from High Hand Nursery in Loomis and a genuine antique Spanish daybed from Riley's Antiques and Artifacts at the Antique Trove in Roseville.
My Moroccan Nap House!


I used Mediterranean and California native plants, amongst them, this lovely California penstemon, which I refused to return to the nursery and will soon be part of my own garden! It will join the front yard mix, which is gradually replacing the lawn. I have a hot area that will be all drought tolerant natives!
Penstemon Margarita B.O.P.


My front border is lookin sweet right now...Mex. Feather Grass, Sparakis, Bridal Wreath Spiraea, Centranthus, Bidens, Lavender  and Euryops. This is an existing border at my house that currently is all reds and yellows
mixed border


My Cecile Brunner climbing rose is going into it's full glory stage!

I'm excited...there was a lot of interest at the show regarding replacing the front lawn with natives and I'll be getting to work with some of these visitors, doing consultations or designs or coaching. What a pleasant reward for working so hard (sound of patting myself on my back). To read more about the show, click here. I'll be posting more about the show and my great vendors in upcoming posts. Their generosity made the entire experience a joy (except that last day, shoveling bark into piles...that wasn't fun).

For more blooms from around the world, or to participate with your own bloggin blooms, visit May Dreams Gardens, the hostess of this fun event.

Whether you need garden design, coaching, seasonal maintenance or planting, Geno's Garden can help! Call me at (916) 764-5243, or email hansonja@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment